Monday, July 25, 2016

From the Archives: Star Trek Into Darkness

Star Trek Beyond opened this past weekend.

I'm still working my way toward a full review of Beyond, which will by out later today.

In the meantime, as promised, I've included my old review of Star Trek Into Darkness. Here's a snippet:
As the universally-decreed "Best Star Trek Movie Ever Made," (Star Trek II: The Wrath of) Khan is both the standard by which good Star Trek is measured, and unfortunately "a pattern to follow" as Kirk says of the Ilia probe in Star Trek: The Motion Picture
And in the case of later Star Trek (generally), and specifically in the case of Star Trek Into Darkness, my response might be the same as Spock's was to Kirk: "Indeed. They may have followed it too precisely." 
Still, Star Trek Into Darkness is very good, and in places it's great. It also works as very good, and occasionally great Star Trek.

Here is the link to the complete original post (please forgive the occasional typo)...

Star Trek Into Darkness

Hope you enjoy it.

As promised, sometime within the next few days, I'll have my full review of Star Trek Beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment