Sunday, July 24, 2016

From the Archives: Star Trek (2009)

Star Trek Beyond opened this weekend.

I'm just starting to put together my thoughts about Beyond, working toward a full review.

In the meantime. I'll include the links to old review of the first movies in the "reboot timeline". Here's a snippet of my thoughts about Star Trek:
There are few things more nerve-wracking than being a long-time fan (Trekkie in my case), seeing a cherished icon of youth get an extreme makeover. In the specific case of Star Trek, I spent most of the 30 minutes in the theater before the start of the picture, thinking the following: 
"Please God, let this not suck like Nemesis, or Insurrection, or The Final Frontier." 
"I hope the critics are right." 
"Abrams is a TV guy, like Harve Bennett was a TV guy. This could work." 
"Please God, let this not suck. Please, please, please." 
My fears were alleviated in less than 5 minutes. Abrams delivers a sensationally entertaining picture. To begin with, he gives us not merely the best teaser in "Star Trek" history, but one of the great teasers I've seen in any movie. It sets a standard that the rest of the picture has to live up to, and thankfully, Star Trek mostly succeeds.
Here is the link to the complete original post (please forgive the occasional typo)...

Star Trek

Hope you enjoy it.

Tomorrow will be the link back to my review of Star Trek Into Darkness.

Sometime within the next few days, I'll have my full review of Star Trek Beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment