Thursday, January 11, 2018

When the Chargers Left San Diego

So, one year ago, the Spanos family made the decision to relocate the Chargers to Los Angeles after over half a century in San Diego.

The pain has dulled, but not disappeared. With that in mind, I'm writing up a short post which will include all of the thoughts and feelings I had a year ago.

Links and embedded content are below the jump.



One Year Ago

Here's my last post for Bolts From the Blue, titled Tears in Rain. See below for a snippet:

And then there was one play. Jahleel Addae’s 90-yard Interception return woke Qualcomm and its beaten fans from their collective and deceptive slumber. The twisty, turning, altogether improbable return evoked some of the great players in San Diego’s 56-year history in one play. For one spectacular moment, all of the terrible which surrounded the franchise dissipated and we were able to love the Chargers. For the briefest of moments, it was like it used to be. And just like that... 
Gone. Tears in rain.

Here's my discussion with John Gennaro of Mighty 1090 AM regarding why I decided not to follow the Chargers to Los Angeles, and a broader discussion of the stadium economics of the NFL.

Here's the podcast:






Based on Tears in Rain, I was invited to have a chat about relocation with Drew Gier of The Rockpile Report.  We discussed what happened in San Diego with the Chargers, and what it could mean for fans in other NFL cities.

Here's the podcast:



Click on the link for more information on The Rockpile Report.

And Now...


I was struck with sadness a couple weeks ago when I drove past the derelict San Diego / Jack Murphy / Qualcomm / SDCCU Stadium, standing proud like an ancient Roman Colosseum in a distant province, glorious only when remembered by the old and forgotten, left to the ravages of time.

Today, I'm still hurt and angry, but it's more of a dull throb and the feeling of something missing.

More than anything, what I miss is the feeling of family, of community.

It feels very much like being the child of a divorce, where some of my siblings moved away with one parent while the rest of us stayed behind with the other parent.

And even though I decided to become a Miami Dolphins fan, it's still not the same.

More than anything else, this is what I'll never forgive the Spanos family and the NFL for...

They broke up my family and community for profit.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete